Saturday, December 4, 2010

Zen and the Art of Jewelry

I've found that making jewelry for me is like yoga. In that - in one class I can't wait to get to natarajasanae and the next class I dread that pose like you wouldn't believe and I live for cobra but in the next class cobra gives me some problems and I'm all a twitter for downward dog and the class after that I loath the downward dog and am really looking forward to the inverted pose... see where I'm going with this? I've found the same is true with my work - with a lot less variation. Some days I can't stop making necklaces - I love my necklaces! The next - I think they are crap and earrings are definitely my thing.

In case you are lost - here is an example of natarajasanae
It should be noted - this is not me.
And here are some of my earrings - which I loved last week!

This week? I like my necklaces. But check back next week!

Now do you see the connection?

No? Well, I guess that is why one keeps going back to yoga - b/c it's always a challenge - there is always something to look forward to and you are never a master. The day I am completely satisfied with my work, cease to see it as a challenge and don't think there is any area for improvement is the day I stop doing what I love. I never want to master this.

5 comments:

  1. I definitely see the connection- but I think your jewelry is gorgeous so I don't think you should belittle your own little masterpieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Celeste! You are right - I'm still getting comfortable with my designs but I have confidence I'll find my voice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha - it's true beerecorder. I am the master at redesigning something to no end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. I think this is true for whatever we create! Self-doubt and self-confidence share something - "self"! As we evolve so does our art and so does our definition of ourselves. Roll with the punches... I mean, poses.

    ReplyDelete