Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Accomplishments - Kind of

So, while I feel like I haven't really accomplished that much in the past week (or two) since I last blogged - now that I'm actually writing it out I think I have! I have a preliminary business card.




I couldn't decide on colors - so I picked two!

This is just the front - it's sort of a prelim logo design. I can be a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to design. I will redesign something to within an inch of it's life - so, I'm not completely satisfied with these. But I like the colors... The thing is, my business consultant told me I should come up with a logo; but not a text logo. However, I'm a bit of a font enthusiast so I like the idea of just using a font; but I understand where he is coming from. People need to be able to easily identify my brand.

But when I think about it I kind of like this design - maybe I should listen to my gut and go with the text... Well, that's what I'm going with at the moment. I'm also having a stamp made (it's similar to the above but slightly different) to stamp my packages when people start buying my pieces.

Speaking of buying - I'm still getting the photography straightened out (remember that perfectionist comment?) But I've found the packaging I want to use (exciting!) and soon I'll have my stamp! So maybe I did accomplish a bit more then I thought - logo, business cards, packaging. Oh, I've also come up with a display idea - more on that later!

So, in other news - my assumed business name was published... incorrectly. This will be the confession portion of this post. I can be a pessimist at times. As hard as I try there always seems to be this little voice in the back of my mind going "this won't work". And well, when I saw the incorrect posting I thought "is this a sign, that this won't work?" No. I called the Chicago Reader where it was published and the woman was very nice and fixed everything for me! She even called the city people (not sure who "the city people" are) to make sure this wouldn't set me back - and it won't! So all good on that front - I am now an official business in the City of Chicago - yay!

Next stop - Etsy. I'll be posting my store to Etsy this week. Look for that!

ETA: after reading through this post I feel I should have titled it - It's Official! - or something more positive to that effect and lead with the fact that I am now an official business. Having said that, narrowing my business card colors down to only two was way more difficult then registering my business...

1 comment: